Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: The Real Deal

  1. #1
    Inactive Member S.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Posts
    1,178
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HOD Brothers,

    I am reaching a point in my life where i have to make important decisions such as where I want to carry on with my education (i am at jr year in high school)

    Now let me set-up the scene, I've been playing for almost 3 years now, and the first year i didnt take it very seriously, i mainly played along to songs and played with a band, through this year i checked out mainly Mike Portnoy and mostly the rest were drummers of mainstream bands. Towards the end of this first year i started to check out steve smith and just into my 2nd year i discovered Vinnie Colaiuta. This man changed my life, but anyways, it turns out that i made a decision in November 2003 that i wanted to start taking drums seriously and i let my teacher know about this. We went back to basics, and i started learning all the essential skills that would help me to be a good well-rounded drummer.

    Now as i come close to making my tertiary education choices, theres a huge part of me that wants to become a professional musician, but there is a part of me that is also saying that it is too hard and that its too risky and that it is a lot easier to get a "normal" degree and get a "normal" job.

    Anyways, both my parents want me to first get a degree and then to study music and if it doesn't work out i have something to fall back on. I know this seems like a perfectly logical idea, but the fact is that i don't really want to spend 4 years getting a degree. I want to go and get taught at a good music school and started making musician friends and live and breath music. Now my parents greatly opose this (specially my mum) and having such little support makes me scared to carry this path out.

    Now i know that some of you may be thinking, wow only playing 3 years he wont be good enough etc...and i am most definetely not, but the fact is that i want it so much that im not going to let that stop me, i still have a year and a half left of high school where i will be shedding (specially reading and phrasing) and i hope to attend L.A.M.A in preparation for Berklee.

    Now for my concerns. Do you really have to be out of this world good to live off playing music?

    For those of you that do play music for a living and wouldn't mind sharing with us some your thoughts about being a working musician (Whichever aspect it is: Teaching, freelance, being in a band etc) please do?

    Is it as hard as people make it out to be to make a comfortable living as a musician?

    What are the most important skills or attitudes that are needed to succeed?

    Thanks a lot and i will post more questions as I think of them

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 16, 2005 10:59 AM: Message edited by: S.P ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member JoesMechanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2005
    Posts
    575
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Suspiria...... yeah!! Great Advice!!

    S.P. I know we've already had this discussion, but I would listen to Suspiria. You can go to school, still woodshed, and start your "networking" there. If you're as passionate as you sound, you'll always find time to study, get your grades, and play at the local joint where all your college friends can see you play. Sleep isn't part of going to college and thats why they have COFFEE!! [img]eek.gif[/img]

    Eventually you'll get noticed by some of the upcoming cool cats/players that also go there or live in town. So don't worry man!! If you have a "passion", you'll find your path. But just don't let it get in the way of good ol fashioned logic. Having something to fall back on is a great thing!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member tnsolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2005
    Posts
    167
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    sp i went thru the exact same thing. let me just say this DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE GIVE UP PLAYING. if u do go to a trad university, it will be tough to divide your time between drums, class, friends etc. believe i know

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by shockediddle:
    if u do go to a trad university, it will be tough to divide your time between drums, class, friends
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I disagree. If you really want to play, you can make the time for that. No university will keep you occupied at ALL TIMES. You will have a lot of freedom to do what you want and probably become very good at time management in the process.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member tnsolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2005
    Posts
    167
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Suspiria:
    I disagree. If you really want to play, you can make the time for that. No university will keep you occupied at ALL TIMES. You will have a lot of freedom to do what you want and probably become very good at time management in the process.

    man i'd like to go where u are, all the grad students here are always busy. i think were both speaking too general, it really depends on your major.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member jonthibault's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2002
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I was in college (Plymouth State--Holla!!) I didn't take drumming very seriously, but I had a teacher who came to the school once a week, and I practiced in the band room for an hour every day (I'd kill for that opportunity now). Plus I was heavily involved with student government and was quite a nerd.

    If I had wanted to devote more time to it, I could have. So if you go to a regular college as a music major (or any major) I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to play. Plus, most colleges are a lot cheaper than music schools.

    Having said that, the guys I know that went to music schools are really bad-ass players, so it's certainly not a waste of time or money. It all comes down to whether you want a Bachelor's degree.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Posts
    1,335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Great topic, & some good commentary thus far.

    I would also add to that & state the obvious; sometimes it relly needs to be reaffirmed -

    if you go to any insitution, ESP a college [not necessarily strictly a music school] - stay FAR away from the "party people" buddies. I sh** you not. It will only waste your valuable time AWA possibly help one to develop some unsavory habits that will be a minor pain ITA to change later. Trust me on this one. Yeah, I was the smart guy who would never allow something as stoopit as "peer pressure" to dictate any choices for me...but one thing can inadvertently lead to another, & unwittingly, b4 you realize it, valuable time passes that cannot be recouped.

    I'm obviously not talking about just the occasional "night out on the town" w a select few friends.

    What you do NOW [& the choices] is/are going to be the dictating benchmark of the REST of your life. Preparing yourself with your scholastic AWA musical studies is FAR more important than feeloing like "belonging" or trying to "fit in." If you stay nose-pressed to the grindstone, you will automatically AWA naturally fit in later. & you'll DEF be better off for it. Stay AWAY from those who are involved in things that you KNOW will veer you off your intended course...

    I realize you in particular are prob not one of these predispositioned people, as you in Jr Hi are already showing your maturuty & candor AFA concern for your future [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] , but just some obvious cautionary words to anyone else whom it may apply nevertheless... [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 16, 2005 03:06 PM: Message edited by: got_a_matchgrip? ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [quote]Originally posted by shockediddle:
    i think were both speaking too general, it really depends on your major.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's very true. I mean I am busy, and I sure as hell can't afford to play every day, but it is doable. S.P: You can always consider sort of a double degree where you chose to focus on performance (instrument of your choice) and perhaps an Arts degree. Ever thought of that?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member FlamTriplet's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2003
    Posts
    520
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Get a decent normal degree and minor in music. Find a school that has a decent music program and you can hang with them and get a good degree that will help you in many ways. If you are still into it, then get a music major or something.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member tnsolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2005
    Posts
    167
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Suspiria:
    That's very true. I mean I am busy, and I sure as hell can't afford to play every day, but it is doable.
    definately doable, hell for me practice usually comes before homework [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •